Thursday, August 16, 2007

I have a confession...

It just doesn't feel right to keep it a secret anymore. I have to confess that my metalsmithing studio is actually my parents' laundry room.
Ah, feels good to get it off my chest.
You see, I live in a small apartment where I couldn't possibly find room for all my tools, equipment, and supplies. Not to mention that my neighbors would probably object to all the hammering, and I would ruin the carpets with metal dust and etching solution!
So, after a fruitless search for studio space in my area, my parents most kindly offered to let me work in their basement. I've got a tiny workbench, and old desk, and a little metal shelf for a soldering station with a stove hood for ventilation (thanks to grandpa for the donation of the hood, and to dad for the installation!) My enameling kiln is right next to my mom's washing machine. It's just a 20 minute drive to my parents house, so I go a few days a week and make all the jewelry I can.
My parents are awfully good to put up with me in my grimy shop apron, making all sorts of noise and dust in their laundry room!
Thanks mom and dad, you're the best!

No comments: