Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Victoria Lansford's Russian Filigree Powdered Solder

If you have ever tried making filigree work and experienced the frustration of all your little pieces of wire moving around while you try to place your solder, I have a product recommendation for you. I recently purchased Russian Filigree Powdered Solder from Victoria Lansford's website, and it is absolutely wonderful! The solder is finely ground and mixed with a dry powdered flux. To use it, I like to mix a little bit of powder with water to make a thin paste, and then drop it with a small brush into the joints of my filigree design. If you make the paste thin enough it will draw down into the joint and make a very tidy connection. I use this with my little butane microtorch and it works great. You can also wet your metal, pick up little bits of dry powder with a wet brush and apply it to the wet metal. You can find more specific directions and tips on Victoria Lansford's site, along with other tools and instructional materials. While you're there check out her amazing metalwork.

1 comment:

Libellula Jewelry™ said...

Thank you so much for posting this tip. I'm definitely going to check this out because I'm just getting into filigree and not totally pleased with the look that solder wire is giving me.