Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Sense of Scale


If you sell jewelry, you have probably considered the issue of whether to photograph your jewelry with an object (or a person) to give it a sense of scale. I have never been able to think of a good object to use. Rulers and coins are tacky (plus coins aren't helpful for international buyers) organic objects vary too much in size, and some buyers are put off by models. All in all photographing the jewelry in my hands seemed like a decent option. It shows the scale of the jewelry without the jewelry actually being worn, and though hands vary somewhat in size, I think it gives the buyer a good general idea. The problem is my hands aren't really the prettiest after a night of making jewelry. So today I had the idea to make a print of my hand and photograph the jewelry on top of the print. I think it looks pretty good, and when combined with the measurements should give the buyer a good idea of the size of the jewelry. I also tried making a print of my ear but that didn't work out so well!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool idea. The print is art in and of itself.

Laurel said...

Great idea - and it looks good, too!

Swati said...

Love the idea! LOL...you should try making another print for your ear...even if just for fun! My hands are not pretty...not even when they are all cleaned and moisturized. But I still put the jewelry on my hands for showing the size :-P.

Copperheart said...

Thanks everyone!

Pretty Things said...

Absolutely brilliant!