Thursday, March 27, 2008

Handmade Wedding Project no.1

As some of you may know, my Fiance and I are getting married this July. Since we don't have a whole lot of money to spend on the wedding, and I obviously like to make things myself anyway, I've got all sorts of wedding craft projects planned out. This is the first one. I made these votive cups last night while watching Superman 4 with my fiance.
I just got some tissue paper that went with my decoration scheme, some plain glass votive cups, mod podge, and acrylic gloss medium.
First I cut strips of tissue paper that were more than big enough to cover the cup. Then I used a sponge brush to paint a thin layer of mod podge over the whole cup. Next I wrapped the tissue paper around, smoothing it down with my fingers. After the tissue paper was wrapped all around, I carefully trimmed off the excess around the top, bottom and the seam, and then smoothed down the cut edges with a little more mod podge. After they were all dry I gave them a final coat of acrylic gloss medium, which seals the paper and makes it shiny and more translucent.
Aren't they cute?

2 comments:

Monkey said...

Those are so neat! Did you draw the designs on there afterwards or did those designs already come on the tissue paper? They are very pretty! Awesome job! :)

Copperheart said...

Thanks! The designs were allready on the tissue paper- it was a lucky find because it goes perfectly with the colors of the wedding and the fabric for my dress which has a subtle white on white paisley pattern.